As director general, Matthew is the institute’s chief executive officer (CEO), directly managing and administering its affairs in accordance with the policies and decisions of the IRRI Board of Trustees.
IRRI’s executive management team includes the:
- Matthew Morell - Director General
- Jacqueline Hughes - Deputy Director General for Research
- V. Bruce J. Tolentino - Deputy Director General for Communication and Partnerships
- Michael Bartlett - Director of Operations
- Mark Gruner - Director of Finance
- Temina Lalani-Shariff - Head of Communications
- Director of Human Resources
- Abdelbagi Ismail - IRRI Representative for Eastern and Southern Africa
- David Johnson - IRRI Representative for South East Asia
- Nafees Meah - IRRI Representative for South Asia
- Matty Dumont (acting lead) - Agri-food Policy
- George Koch - Rice Breeding
- Ajay Kholi/Tobias Kretzschmar (acting leads) - Strategic Innovation
- Ranjitha Puskur/Sarah Beebout (acting leads) - Sustainable Impact
See our organizational structure for more information.
As IRRI’s Deputy Director General for Research, Jackie oversees the institute’s global research agenda covering plant breeding, genetics, crop and environmental sciences, and social sciences.
Michael is IRRI’s Director of Operations, and is in charge of managing the administration of IRRI headquarters and its country offices. His team provides support in different needs such as infrastructural development, risk management and quality assurance, and supply chain services.
Temina leads IRRI's Communication unit.
David is IRRI Representative for South East Asia.
As the Head of Plant Breeding, George spearheads the development of innovation and innovative products at IRRI while designing and leading its R&D processes.
Bruce leads several key areas of IRRI programming: fund-raising, communication, and partnerships with donors, international and regional organizations, national governments, and agriculture-related ministries and agencies. He also oversees IRRI’s legal services.
As Director of Finance, Mark is in charge of making sure that IRRI has a strong fiduciary function, and the Institute is in optimal financial health.
Abdel is IRRI Representative for Eastern and Southern Africa. He is also IRRI's overall coordinator of the Stress-Tolerant Rice for Africa and South Asia (STRASA).
Nafees is IRRI's representative for South Asia.