Arvind leads the rainfed lowland, South Asia plant breeding group at IRRI. He has expertise in trait development for drought, aerobic rice and dry direct seeded rice.
Arvind has developed thirty rice varieties released in seven different countries, and published ninety-five peer reviewed manuscripts in high index international journals and more than ten book chapters. He identified seven genes for rice gall midge resistance, fourteen QTLs for grain yield under drought, three QTLs for grain yield under dry direct seeded situation, as well as QTLs for traits important to aerobic and dry direct seeded rice like early vigor, lodging resistance, root traits related to high nutrient uptake under dry direct seeded situation and nematode tolerance.
Furthermore, Arvind successfully implemented marker assisted introgression and pyramiding of QTLs for grain yield under drought at IRRI. He also improved several popular rice varieties for drought tolerance following MAB, as well as developed drought plus submergence tolerant version of Swarna.
- Breeding drought-tolerant rice varieties
- PhD in Plant breeding and genetics, Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya (IGKV), Raipur- International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), New Delhi, India (2002)
- MSc in Plant breeding and genetics, Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Raipur, India (1992)
- Plant breeder, IRRI (2007-present)
- Post doctoral fellow, IRRI (2004-2006)
- Senior Scientist, IGKV (Jan 2004-Oct 2006; July 2006-Jan 2007)
- Scientist, IGKV (1995-2003)
- Research associate, IGKV (1992-1994)
- Young scientist award from Madhya Pradesh Council of Science and Technology (MPCOST), India
- Best scientist award, Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, India
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Zhao, D.L., Amante, M., Sta Cruz, Ma. Teresa, Atlin, G.N. and Kumar, A. 2010. Developing aerobic rice cultivars for water short irrigated and drought prone rainfed ecosystems. Crop Sci. 50: 2268-2276.
- Mandal, N.P., Sinha, P.K., Variar, M., Shukla,V.D., Perraju, P.2, Mehta, A., Pathak, A.R., Dwivedi, J.L., Rathi, S.P.S., Bhandarkar, S., Singh, B.N., Singh, D.N., Panda, S., Mishra, N.C., Singh, Y.V., Pandya, R. , Singh, M.K., Sanger, R.B.S., Bhatt, J.C., Sharma, R.K., Raman, A., Kumar, A. and Atlin, G. 2010. Implications of genotype x input interactions in breeding superior genotypes for favorable and unfavorable rainfed upland environments. Field Crops Res. 118 (2010) 135–144
- Verulkar, S.B., Mandal, N.P., Dwivedi, J.L. , Singh, B.N., Sinha, P.K., Mahato, R.N., Dongre, P., Singh, O.N., Bose, L.K., Swain, P. , Robin, S., Chandrababu, R., Senthil, S., Jain, A., Shashidhar, H.E., Hittalmani, S., Vera Cruz, C., Paris, T., Raman, A., Haefele, S., Serraj, R., Atlin, G. and Kumar, A. (2010). Breeding resilient and productive genotypes adapted to drought-prone rainfed ecosystem of India. Field Crops Res. 117: 199-208.
- Kumar, Arvind, Verulkar, Satish, Dixit, Shalabh, Chauhan, Bhagirath, Bernier, Jerome, Venuprasad, Ramaiah, Zhao, Dule and Shrivastava, M.N. 2010. Yield and yield –attributing traits of rice (Oryza sativa L.) under lowland drought and suitability of early vigor as a selection criterion. Field Crops Res. 114: 99-107.
- Venuprasad, R., Dalid C.O., Marilyn, D.V., Bool, M.E., Zhao, D., Espiritu, M., Sta Cruz, M.T., Amante, M., Kumar, A. and Atlin, G.N. 2009. Identification and characterization of large-effect quantitative trait loci (QTL) for grain yield under lowland drought stress and aerobic conditions in rice using bulk-segregant analysis (BSA). Theor Appl Genet: 120:177–190.
- Venuprasad, R., Bool M.E., Dalid C.O., Bernier, J., Kumar, A. and Atlin, G.N. 2009. Genetic loci responding to two cycles of divergent selection for grain yield under drought stress in a rice breeding population. Euphytica 167: 261-269.
- Serraj, R., Kumar, A., McNally, K.L., Slamet-Loedin, I., Bruskiewich, R., Mauleon, R., Cairns, J. and Hijmans, R.J. 2009. Improvement of drought resistance in rice. Adv. Agron. 103: 41-99
- Bernier, Jérôme, Serraj, Rachid, Kumar, Arvind *, Venuprasad, Ramaiah, Impa, Somayanda, Gowda, Veeresh R.P, Oane, Rowena, Spaner, Dean and Atlin, G.N. 2009. The large-effect drought-resistance QTL qtl12.1 increases water uptake in upland rice. Field Crops Res. 110: 139-146.
- Bernier, Jerome, Kumar, Arvind, Spaner, Dean, Verulkar, Satish , Mandal, Nimai P., Sinha, Pramod K., Peeraju, Puvvada, Dongre, Praba R., Mahto, R.N. and Atlin, G.N. 2009. Characterization of the effect of rice drought tolerance qtl12.1 over a range of environments in the Philippines and eastern India. Euphytica: 166:207-217.
- Kumar, A., Bernier, J., Verulkar, Satish, Lafitte, H.R., and Atlin, G.N. 2008. Breeding for drought tolerance: direct selection for yield, response to selection and use of drought-tolerant donors in upland and lowland-adapted populations. Field Crops Res. 107:221-231.
- Bernier, J., Atlin, G., Kumar, A., Serraj, R. and Spaner, D. 2008. Review: Breeding upland rice for drought resistance. J Sci Food Agric 88:927–939.
- Venuprasad, R., Sta Cruz, M.T., Amante, M. Magbanua, R. Kumar, A. and Atlin, G.N. 2008. Response to two cycles of divergent selection for grain yield under drought stress in four rice breeding populations. Field Crops Res. 107:232-244.
- Bernier, J. Kumar, A., Ramaiah, V. Spaner, D. and Atlin, G. 2007. A large-effect QTL for grain yield under reproductive-stage drought stress in upland rice. Crop Sci. 47: 505-516.
Dr. Arvind Kumar
Senior Scientist II - Plant Breeding
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 2 580 5600