Fangming is a senior scientist on hybrid rice research at IRRI and is also responsible for managing the Hybrid Rice Development Consortium (HRDC), an organization of public-private partnership on hybrid rice. Fangming is a plant breeder with many years of experience working in Asia and North America. He provides strategic leadership and oversight to IRRI’s hybrid rice research and development and has developed hybrid rice parents, germplasm and hybrids for commercial production.
Fangming has received scientific awards for his achievements and also patented hybrid rice products in the United States.
- Hybrid rice research, development and seed production
- International collaboration and management of hybrid rice R&D
- PhD in Plant Breeding, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, USA (1993)
- MSc in Plant Genetics and Breeding, Hunan Agricultural University, Changsha, China (1985)
- BS in Agronomy, Hunan Agricultural University, Changsha, China (1982)
- Senior Scientist, IRRI (2005-present)
- Director of Line Development, RiceTec, Inc., USA (2004-2005)
- Plant Breeder, RiceTec, Inc., USA (1993-2005)
- Research Assistant, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, USA (1988-1993)
- Exchange Visiting Scholar, USDA/ARS and Texas Agriculture Experimental Station, Beaumont, Texas, USA (1987)
- Scientist, Hunan Hybrid Rice Research Center, Changsha, China (1982-1988)
- Recipient of Huangshan Friendship Award, Anhui Government, China (2013)
- Recipient of Yuan Longping Agricultural Sci-Tech Prize, China (2008)
- Recipient of Hank Beachell Research Award, RiceTec, Inc. USA (1998)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Wang K., F. Qiu, W. Larazo, M. Dela Paz, F. Xie. 2015. Heterotic groups of tropical indica rice germplasm. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 128(3), 421-430
- Xie F., Z. He, M. Esguerra, F. Qiu, V. Ramanathan. 2014. Determination of Heterotic Groups for Tropical Indica Hybrid Rice Germplasm. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 127(2), 407-417
- Wang K., F. Qiu, M. A. Dela Paz, J. Zhuang, F. Xie. 2014. Genetic diversity and structure of improved indica rice germplasm. Plant Genetic Resources: Characterization and Utilization, 12(2); 248–254
- Xie F, Guo L, Ren G, Hu P, Wang F, Xu J, Li X, Qiu F, Angelita dela Paz M. 2012. Genetic Diversity and Structure of indica Rice Varieties from Two Heterotic Pools of Southern China and IRRI. Plant Genetic Resources: Characterization and Utilization, 10(3): 186–193
- HE Z., F. Xie, L. Chen, M. A. DELA PAZ, 2012. Genetic Diversity of Tropical Hybrid Rice Germplasm Measured by Molecular Markers. Rice Science, 19(3): 193−201
- Huang, M., Xie, F, Chen L., Zhao X., Lales. J., DELA PAZ M. A. 2010. Comparative Analysis of Genetic Diversity and Structure in Rice Using ILP and SSR Markers. Rice Science, 17(4): 257–268.
- Xangsayasane, P., Xie, F., Hernandez, J.E., Boirromeo, T.H. 2010. Hybrid rice heterosis and genetic diversity of IRRI and Lao rice. Field Crops Research. 117:18–23
- Xangsayasane, P., Xie, F., Hernandez, J.E., Borromeo, T.H., 2009. Grain and eating quality of waxy hybrid rice (Oryza sativa L.) derived from non-waxy and waxy parents. Phil Jour of Crop Science. Vol. 34 No 3, 59-67.
Dr. Fangming Xie
Senior Scientist and Plant Breeder
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 2 580 5600